I thought it'd be nice to post some of the findings of my thesis, now that I've graduated. Originally, it was supposed to be just one game, Jojo's Adventure. But my ideas expanded, and new games came out of them. My final thesis ended up being an critical analysis of the 3 games I created, and how I identified problem areas. I will write about my process and conflicts developing the first 2...
It was difficult, but I changed the way the DP loads levels. Instead of just fading to white, now each part of a level elegantly floats on-screen and assembles itself. When you finish, the current level disassembles and floats off to the left, as the new one is flying in. It really works to keep the player hooked and immersed.
I thought my thesis date was April 9th, when it was really May 9th. Well, at least I'm done with most of my work. Now I have a chance to add some more polish to them.
I was told my games were going to be shown at the AAU Spring Show as well as the AAU's booth at GDC! I'm totally psyched about that, hopefully it'll catch someone's eye and land me a job :)
I finally finished Jojo's animation cycles! Idle, idle 2, running, jumping, falling, and ladder climbing. It was pretty easy updating the scripts to work in Unity. Its pretty great, adding an animated character really makes the game feel more like a "game", if that makes any sense.